Hammocks are constructed from different types of material. These materials have different properties that make them unique and different from each other. Their properties are what determines their price, durability, versatility, and convenience.
Therefore, it gives you more options to consider which one is suitable for your needs, application, and fit for what type of conditions (indoor or outdoor). Hence, you should be very careful about the kind of fabric the hammock is made from for you to maximally reap all the benefits you intend to use the hammock for.
Below is a complete guide review for the best fabric for a hammock that will help you choose the best among the rest easily and effortlessly without wasting your precious time in the store.
Cotton is a natural material from the plant that has evolved from ancient days to the present day. Cotton is considered a true fabric among the rest because of its versatility and friendliness. Hence, a lot of hammocks are made from cotton fabric.
However, different types of cotton fabric depend on their grade and resistance, which makes them unique towards their durability and application. For you to identify the best cotton fabric for a hammock, it possesses the following features:
Properties of High-Grade Cotton Fabric
- It is lightweight to enhance the portability of the hammock and for easy hand wash maintenance if you do not need a washing machine.
- Should be made from 100% pure cotton because it possesses a bright color and long cotton fibers.
- Since pure cotton has long fibers, making it robust and tear-resistant can withstand a lot of use for a substantial period.
- It is breathable, has a high moisture absorbency, thereby making it the best for wicking away sweat. Hence, it is suitable for summer or hot days.
- It is very soft, skin-friendly, and environmentally friendly.
Despite its high-quality features, cotton material also has its downsides which can cost you a great deal of fortune; therefore, it is worth noting before settling on them. They include as follows;
- Its longevity or durability is not promising when left under damp conditions, making them start rotting, thereby reducing its tensile ability.
- When it is frequently and directly exposed to UV and UVB rays; hence, it deteriorates its color faster with time.
Therefore, the best cotton fabric for a hammock should be coated to make it waterproof and UV-proof to improve its resistance against outdoor elements. However, it would help if you did not leave it directly exposed to harsh outdoor elements to enhance its longevity.
Parachute silk fabric is made from thin nylon material. This fabric is mostly used to make parachutes and great for making hammocks because when it is disregarded into a fabric, it becomes very robust. However, what makes parachute silk fabric (nylon) be your best choice for hammock?
Properties of Parachute silk fabric
- They are extremely lightweight and compact, thereby making it easy to carry them with you anytime you desire to use the hammock for an outdoor adventure.
- It is breathable, making it comfortable and suitable for a warmer climate.
- They have a high tensile ability for enhanced wear and tear resistance.
- It has a silky texture making its color to be vibrant/brighter, and beautiful. Thus, they make the best hammock for lounging outdoor.
- It dries quicker than cotton material, making it a bit resistant to water, reducing the chances of condensation forming on the fabric.
- They are easy to maintain either by machine wash or hand wash and retains their shape for a very long time due to their elasticity.
However, the major disadvantage with nylon/ parachute silk is that it cannot withstand harsh UV rays; hence, the fabric should be coated with silicone to improve its durability and resistance against outdoor elements.
If you want a hammock that can withstand outdoor elements ad pollutants, the polyester fabric would be your best choice. Polyester fabric is artificially made from polypropylene acquired from chemical reactions or substances that are non-hazardous to humans. Polyester fabric is inexpensive and durable, making them worth investing in, and besides, it has the following properties. These includes:
- They dry quickly and faster than cotton and nylon making them highly resistant to mold and mildew.
- They do not fade easily, but they become dull if exposed to harsh UV and UVB rays after long periods.
- They are lighter than cotton and nylon fabric, making them the best backpacking hammock for outdoor adventure.
- They have a high tensile ability which makes them last longer and supports a lot of weight pressure.
- Easy to maintain and machine washable with either warm or cold water.
The major disadvantage with polyester fabric hammock is that it is delicate against oil. Hence, when oil spills over the fabric, it interferes with its chemical bond, making it weak and susceptible to wear and tear. Other minor disadvantages include;
- They are not breathable; hence, it is not recommendable for summer conditions, limiting their conduciveness against sweat and aeration.
- It is not very soft as cotton does.
- The polyester fabric shrinks with time due to loss of twist and crimp.
Wool fabric is rarely used for making a hammock, and if you find one, mostly are provided with shades and are designed for outdoor lounging and luxury purpose.
This is because the wool fabric is expensive, sensitive to chemicals, stains absorb a lot of moisture, and wands easily. However, it has admirable features that make it good for your money; they include as follows;
- It is easy to clean and maintain because the fiber releases dirt and soil easily, unlike other fabrics.
- They offer excellent insulation properties.
- They are flame retardants.
- They are elastic and strong, meaning they can withstand outdoor conditions but not damp conditions; hence, they are placed under shades.
Generally, from the reviewed properties of the best fabric for a hammock, I hope you can freely choose the type of fabric that is best for your needs. However, it is significant to note that the better the quality, the increases its price and longevity. Still, there are factors that you should also consider when buying a hammock. For instance, you should try to inquire about the PU rating of the fabric because it indicates its resistance to outdoor elements to improve its durability. The higher the PU rating of the material, the higher the resistance.